Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Clash of the Titans (1981)


This is the first time I've watched this movie, purely for getting ready and seeing the difference in it's 2010 remake.  From the title and a quick glimpse at what the plot is about, I thought it would be an action packed film.  Turns out it was a bit boring in the end (no offence to anyone, just my personal opinion).  I thought the first hour of the film was a bit weak.  I didn't really see where the film was going at that point except that I thought Perseus was going to kill some monsters for the hand of Princess Andromeda (turns out it was a little bit different from that).  The fights between Perseus and the monsters were kinda dull.  I think I am too used to the contemporary styles in that every fight has to be exaggerated with cool moves and dodges.  This was more realistic in terms of it's fighting styles.  I liked all the appearances of gods and monsters from Greek mythology.  The stop motion effects are obviously dated now, but still does it's job.  They can be a bit clunky at times since their movements are stiff and they stagger.  Furthermore, in some of the scenes, it was obvious that special effects were being used to put the people in front of the scene.  This detracted from the movie, but hey, I'm sure during its time, these effects were spectacular and state of the art.  I still think the climax didn't live up to its potential.

Blogger Widget