Wednesday, April 17, 2013

17 Again



At first, I thought the plot would be the main character (Mike) going back to when he was 17, and not just changing back physically while time remained in the present.  I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this movie.  I keep finding myself smiling and chuckling at the jokes and awkward situations that turn up between Mike and his children.  Some of the dialogue was gold and I thought that it was quite clever.  The plot isn't exactly the most original, but it was well executed here.  It was good that you go through the loss thanks to the divorce with the grown-up Mike, before he turns back to 17 and slowly, but surely, repairing his relationships with everyone important to him.  It made the whole process of learning what is important in his life more impactful and memorable.  You feel Mike's pain when things doesn't go his way, and his happiness when it does.  After all that, the ending was a bit quick and weak.  While it wasn't too bad, and I liked the way the ending did mimic the beginning scenes (and being such a significant event), I wished it was elaborated more.  I think the performance from Zac Efron was pretty good, he made his character quite likable.  Of note is that they portrayed Ned as such a weird person... to the point where it was somewhat creepy at times.  Anyway, I am surprised at what a fun film this was, and if you are intrigued by the plot, I urge you to have a shot with viewing this film.

Blogger Widget