Monday, January 7, 2013

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides


The Pirates movies were always a hit or miss for me, I think I only truly liked Dead Man's Chest while the other two were write-offs.  They seem to have so much potential, and I love the look of Jack Sparrow (I think Johnny Depp suits the role very well), but most of the time, they were a bore-fest or just didn't live up to my expectations.  At least they're popular enough to be on it's fourth movie, On Stranger Tides is an average movie.  I wouldn't say it was good, but it wasn't bad either.  The first thirty minutes were quite boring and in general, the movie feels bloated (it's just over two hours long), the movie would benefit if they cut out many scenes since they broke the flow of the movie and was just so boring to sit through.  On Jack hits the water, as you'd expect, the movie becomes better and easier to watch.  Didn't really like the new character Angelica, she felt like a contrived character, same with Blackbeard and how Jack is forced to go upon his ship.  The Fountain of Youth, the destination of all three parties, were severely underwhelming.  I felt that the movie tried to hard to focus on Jack's characteristic habits, like his movements, trying to create humor from it, but it didn't work.  Overall, the movie tries too hard to be funny and easy going, and it worked against it.  On Stranger Tides feels unoriginal and contains many things you have already seen before and moved on, it's worth watching... once.
Blogger Widget