Friday, January 11, 2013

2012


I was tempted to post this on 21 December 2012, since it was when the world was predicted to have ended but I couldn't be bothered.  I guess if you're reading this now, it meant that the world didn't end like some were fearing.  Anyway, this was a movie I had really wanted to watch, a disaster movie, and I thought it would be something like the whole world just imploding.  I thought it would be focused on a wider scale, thus I was a little bit disappointed afterwards.  It started off well enough, and showed a lot of promise with the destruction of California and the natural disasters that was slowly emerging in other places.  Yet, it then centered on this one guy, it was what happened to him and his story line.  It took the large scope it had and narrowed it down, and then they jumped around from different angles which made the movie messier.  The film's focus on the characters getting to the ark was surprising (but again, didn't really fit into the theme), and I was surprised at some of the events there.  The ending didn't fit into my image of complete destruction of the Earth, or really, the "end of the world", it was more like, most countries got destroyed.  There were a LOT of improbable events here, to the point where it breaks the realism, a lot.  You're left thinking "that was ridiculous" too often.  Sure, focusing on the action and special effects to impress viewers might have been more of a priority, but to me, those stupid improbable events stopped me from completely enjoying the movie.  I think this is an okay movie, but at least it wasn't boring unlike some other recent movies I've watched.
Blogger Widget