Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Amazing Spider-Man


A surprisingly quick reboot, but did they have to cover the origin yet again?  It was done comprehensively during the first 2002 movie but I guess this is the movie for the new generation.  I found it was overly long and very boring.  I really did not want to see how Peter realizes his potential of his new strength and the typical fight scenes as he utilizes his strength.  I do not want to see Uncle Ben's death again and the emotional turmoil of Peter as he tracks down the killer.  One thing I'm more impressed is the tracking down of the killer, Peter doesn't find it straight away, he goes through a process and knocks it off one by one.  I liked how they changed back to using artificial webbing using a machine created by Peter, too bad it's only a one scene shot so we don't even really know how he managed to create the machine.

Webslinger wasn't as cool as it's the same body pose, and the fight scenes felt somewhat similar.  I don't know if Spiderman ever used those moves before, but I thought I had seen them somewhere else.  It takes something like half the movie to get the appearance of Lizard, I was anticipating him but the wait was a drawback.  The development of the relationship was solid, although where the attraction came from in the first place (before Peter became Spiderman) is a mystery to me.  I liked how the love interest isn't Mary-Jane but another person (and Emma Stone's portrayal of the character was great).  The Lizard's twisted motives is hard to explain (since the Dr was a rational man after all), and the final climatic fight scene is typical.  To me, this was a disappointingly boring movie that had some highlights, but not enough to elevate it to "amazing".
Blogger Widget