Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Book Review: The Silver Door


Review:  #255
Title:  The Silver Door
Series:  The Three Doors Trilogy - 2nd book
Author:  Emily Rodda
Read Before:  no
My Comments:  Brilliant, simply brilliant.  If you think more carefully, the plot isn’t intricate, nor complex, yet the way the author has presented it, creates a huge sense of wonder and amazement.  It gets your adrenaline pumping.  The first part deals with the trip back to Weld after the first book, and that was okay.  Not stunning, but not too boring either, just… average.  However, by the time the characters enter the second door (a.k.a. the silver door), the book gets exponentially better.  By the climax of the book, it overwhelms with a sense of urgency, an adrenaline rush that was handled very well.  It does not have the classic fantasy structure of The Golden Door, it is a bit darker, and questions are answered.  I literally couldn't put the book down; I was absorbed and wanted to keep reading on, finding out what would happen.  More than ever, this book cements the fact that it is set in the same world (probably not at the same time) as Deltora Quest, I cannot say more without mentioning a spoiler.  The ending was slightly confusing, in that it was hard to imagine what was happening.  A handful of familiar elements from that series turn up here.  If you asked me what I loved so much about the book, I would be hard pressed to say anything specifically; I think it is the writing style that had absorbed me.  I mean, the author is great at writing these styles of books.  Highly recommended, it’s been a while since I have read something of this quality.
Rating:  7.5/10
Blogger Widget