Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Book Review: Ruler of the Realm


Review:  #187
Title:  Ruler of the Realm
Series:  Faerie Wars Chronicles - 3rd book
Author:  Herbie Brennan
Read Before:  no
My Comments:  An excellent book, and one I think that has the most intricate plot in the series.  The way that there were so many things woven into the plot, with red herrings everywhere was totally unexpected and amazing.  A few things I could guess, but mostly, I was kept in the dark, which just shows how the author didn't just tread in old steps.  Once you are about a third into the book, it hooks you right in, I couldn't stop reading, and actually spent an hour continuously reading until nearly the end.  It gets annoying how each chapter ends in a cliffhanger, and then the next chapter skips to another perspective but that’s a deliberate style of the writing, and it works really well.  Henry annoyed me when he first appeared, since he’s as useless as ever, but it makes a huge difference that he is not like other main characters with some sort of awesome power, he is just a normal boy with things happening to him.  As I mentioned, the elaborate plot is the main attraction here, it’s not totally revealed until right at the end on how everything is intertwined.  It’s a bit surprising that this is considered a children’s book (around 7 – 13 I think), when there’s quite a bit of violence and suggestions. All in all, a very worthy book to read, the ending was a bit abrupt, but the best book in the series.
Rating:  7.5/10
Blogger Widget