Thursday, April 12, 2012

Book Review: Deltora Quest Volume 2


Review:  #181
Title:  Deltora Quest Volume 2
Series:  Deltora Quest - 2nd volume
Author:  Story by Emily Rodda, Illustrator:  Makoto Niwano
Read Before:  no
My Comments:  Probably just personal preference, but it wasn't a good manga adaptation of the series.  Probably coz the really good descriptions and suspense made by the words in the books did not translate well into picture form.  Personally, I don’t like the art style used, it’s fairly ugly at times and does not really convey well what is happening at times.  It doesn't help that the monsters depicted are so much different to the Western counterparts, i.e. does not look anything like the illustrations in the various Deltora Quest books.  Granted, I know it’s better to have another take on them, but they are so different, that you can't help but feel they’re wrong somehow.  They story is adapted faithfully, and the illustrator had added some additional jokes in, but they feel forced, and does not suit the theme.  I don’t think I would keep following this manga if I weren’t a fan of the books.
Rating:  5.5/10
Blogger Widget