Saturday, February 18, 2012

Book Review: Heroes of the Valley


Review:  #154
Title:  Heroes of the Valley
Series:  N/A
Author:  Jonathan Stroud
Read Before:  yes
My Comments:  I was initially read this just for the sake of rereading it, coz I hadn’t thought this book was great the first time around.  However, I found it much more enjoyable this second time round, and the suspense the author had created worked nicely, I was reading in anticipation of what would happen.  I find that the book’s plot can be roughly split up into three sections (which is coincidentally how the author had wrote it), the first one where we see the normal life of Halli and then his uncle being murdered, the second part where Halli goes and avenges him, travelling down the valley, and the third and last section where we find out the truth about the legends that surround the valley.  I am a bit surprised how the author had created this small world, yet you don’t feel bored at the limited changes to the setting.  I found that the first part was a bit boring, the second part not too bad and where it got interesting, but the last part was the best as everything about the legends are finally revealed, and the truth is shocking.  I wish there would be a sequel; it would be great, although far from a masterpiece, nor the author’s best work, this is a decent book.
Rating:  7/10
Blogger Widget