Thursday, December 15, 2011

Book Review: Cardcaptor Sakura Vol. 1


Review:  #122
Title:  Cardcaptor Sakura Vol. 1
Series:  Cardcaptor Sakura – 1st volume
Author:  Clamp
Read Before:  no
My Comments: I like this manga, again, saw the anime as a kid and was hooked by the idea. However, the debut chapters of this manga series is a bit disappointing, personally, I don’t like the use of flashback to explain the beginnings. Also, we don’t get to see Sakura capture her first card, and don’t know how come her best friend Tomoyo knows and got into the habit of video taping her exploits. Although the story is a great idea, the execution feels a little lacking. Don’t get me wrong, it is still great, but maybe I’m more tended towards the action and the action could be a lot better (it’s interesting enough now, but I wish it was longer). I loved the part when Sakura captured the Watery card, the method and solution was simple yet ingenious. I like how the identity of each card is slowly revealed and worked out, instead of just telling you right away, you get a sense of anticipation of what it could be. The style of drawing is a bit simple, but then again, it began in 1996, so I can't explain the style I would expect now. Yes, I know it’s a shojo manga so it won’t be for everything, but I think it’s worth a chance just for the story alone.
Rating:  6.5/10
Blogger Widget