Thursday, September 29, 2011

Negima! Magister Negi Magi Volume 1

VOL. 1
001 – The Kid Instructor is a Magician!
The three main characters so far, from right to left, Konoka, Asuna and Negi.

I don’t know, it felt kinda boring and dragged out for too long at 72 pages, maybe if it was cut down a bit, killing some of the scenes it would have been nicer. Halfway through I was kinda waiting for it to either end or for something really awesome to happen. There was some good humour, which I liked, especially the mindreading scene. I’ll still reserve judgement until I read more chapter of this; it’s enough to get me to keep going. The background of Negi seems interesting enough, but not too sure on what to think of the story for future stories since it might go back to the stock standard plot elements.

Our first look at Class 2-A, later, Class 3-A

002 – Panic in the Library?!
Nodoka (or Honya to everyone else), the shy girl whom I think is the focus of this chapter

Although many plot elements are typical of this genre, I still had a good laugh at this chapter. The love potion, and then Asuna acting in a fashion that is typical of a tsundere type character is bit of worn. You can just feel there is a harem being set up, I mean, a guy… in a female only school, yeeeaaahhh. I still enjoyed this chapter though.

Negi (accidentally) works his magic, causing his whole class to like him...

003 – Bathhouse Rub
Another bit of magic being worked by Negi on an unsuspecting Asuna...

At first I thought this was going to be the usual obligatory fanservice chapter where everyone goes to baths and there’ll be nothing but fanservice. However, it was mildly amusing, and we get to learn more of Asuna, and I didn't expect what happened at the end, which was hilarious, the way that Negi worked magic on Asuna. Other than that, I didn't like how we got a huge selection of characters that are making their first appearance, makes it hard to keep track of who is who.

004 – The Dreaded Afterschool Session!
The "Baka Rangers", apparently appropriately named (awesome name though, it has a nice ring to it)

A few laughs dispersed throughout the chapter, and it’s an entertaining read as a result. Nothing spectacular happens just yet, and truth be told, the story is a bit of a bore right now. I do wished there were one or two close male friends of Negi to balance it out, otherwise, this is a fine chapter…

005 – Super Dodge Ball Competition!! Go Girls! (Part One)
Fight! Fight! Seniors versus Juniors!! (sadly, only in dodgeball)

The whole chapter sets up an a competitive match of the junior class (our heroines) with the senior class, a bit of a trivial quarrel, but then again, this do happen. Negi is a bit useless, as he is in pretty much all the chapters so far, and Negi’s sneezing gimmick (generating a huge wind as a result) is starting to feel strained and overdone.

006 – Super Dodge Ball Competition!! Go Girls! (Part Two)
A bit random here, the Seniors were the school's dodgeball team

This chapter isn’t half bad, all the sarcastic comments and shout outs were really funny (loved the “baka power” stuff). The junior class winning was pretty much a given, but I was interested to see how they would win, slightly disappointing in general. Honya was pretty cool when she pulled out her rulebook, and I was surprised that Asuna got eliminated in the dodgeball game. The fanservice/ecchi feels a bit forced, it was an enjoyable chapter.

A bit of randomness here is needed for the Juniors (and our heroines) to win

Overall
An okay volume, I still say that it isn’t anything special nor has it gotten me addicted to it (yet). I still like it, just not loving it, I think it’s because the protagonist is a ten year old kid… it seems you can't take him seriously, and no one in the manga can, which pretty much ruins it for me.

----------------------------------------------------

Decided to try out putting more pictures into my posts, so appropriately, I need to credit the sources for them...

Credits: due to it being faster and more efficient I just took these pictures from scans online instead of scanning the tankobons themselves. These were scanned by the group "Mahora"
Blogger Widget