Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Book Review: South Town



Review: #88
Title: South Town
Series: Tres Navarre - 5th book
Author: Rick Riordan
Read Before: no
My Comments: A really dark story, which seems really atypical of the author, particularly after reading his child-fiction books. The beginning was really interesting but it started to wane off a bit, but still remaining quite suspenseful, as the background of the crime is revealed bit by bit. It does get a bit scattered, and I’m not sure if reading the previous books in the series may help, as the names of characters starts to get muddle up in your head as there’s quite a lot of minor side characters in a short amount of time, causing you to flip back to the pages where they first appeared to remember why they actually were and how they are relevant. In this aspect, it gets better at the end as the core cast becomes much tighter, it might be me with the adult fiction genre, but I was surprised at the large amount of deaths and also the amount of swearing going on, at times, that I think unnecessary. It’s pretty good as far as adult fiction goes in my opinion (not that I have much experience in this) and I was eager to get through the book as its quite absorbing, especially without any fantasy elements in it. I managed to guess most of the ending before it happened as the author provided too many hints, which blew away the effect of the ending a bit. The final moments of the book that sets everything down is too long, I found myself wanting it to end, but overall, it is better than I thought.
Rating: 6/10
Blogger Widget