Sunday, May 22, 2011

Mayoi Neko Overrun! Vol. 1

VOL. 1
1 – It’s Not Like I Asked to Be Taken In!


An ok chapter, but the story and characters don't hold the same appeal to me as Sgt Frog and To Love-Ru did. It’s not captivating enough, and there is nothing that stands out or is remarkable. There are still some funny moments, but the rest of it is fairly dull and average, I couldn't really make myself get into it, coz it seems quite boring and doesn't show as much promise.


I know this is adapted from a very popular light novel so it’ll probably get better. The highlight for the first chapter would probably be the cameo of Mikan and Celine from To Love-Ru, which is a sad thing really when you think about it. From just this chapter alone, I honestly cannot recommend it.

2 – The Melancholy of the Wolf Girl

Well, knowing a little bit on what to expect, I braced myself, and it wasn't as boring as I had feared. It had finally started to get interesting, but the characters themselves don't really stand out and isn’t that appealing. Chise for example, seems like a random character that has the stereotypical personality of a spoiled rich kid (for a lack of better term), they seem… ‘cardboard’.


At least the story is starting to get better, but I am not sure where this is heading towards yet, and the chemistry between the two main protagonists Fumino and Takami is quite well played here and I enjoyed watching it, and learning more about them (that’s pretty much the only saving grace of this chapter). Nozomi is very mysterious with little revealed, and I like the cameos of To Love-Ru characters. All in all, a better chapter than the first one.

3 – Rich Girl Overrun?

The chapters are getting better, and I enjoyed this one, there are a lot of comedic moments (and can it be possible? No ecchi scenes?), and most, if not all, of them work. We get to see into the life of Chise and what she thinks, the rich girl, and she’s not as annoying or seemingly having a lack of character in the chapter (we also get a cameo of Saki, Aya and Rin in one frame and Mikan in another).


There’s some deeper meaning to the story than usual, and I’m finally starting to get a bit interested, maybe it’s because I can recognize the characters now (they were a bit hard to remember who was who before).

4 – And the Name Is the Stray Cat Association

An average read, nothing really interesting happens here, but club that Chise had set up from the last chapter finally takes shape and form. Becoming the Stray Cats Association, still not too sure of what they REALLY do though. I honestly cannot get myself captivated into the manga, it seems quite boring, and there’s nothing special about the plot.


It’s filled with references to other popular manga, and that’s where a few of the jokes come from. More To Love-Ru cameos, and even a name mention, which was the source of a fairly funny situation at the end. If this doesn't pick up, I may just lose interest in it and not finish the whole series (once they get released). Nozomi is a really weird character, and we still don't know much about her, unlike Yami from To Love-Ru, she is not mysterious enough to be likeable.

Overall

Don't feel the love for this manga, it seems so boring, and if it continues like this, then I would lose interest very fast.
Blogger Widget