Saturday, April 16, 2011

To Love-Ru (halfway point)

After having a little taste a week ago, I've decided to go through and read pretty much the whole series. One week later, I'm halfway, having read 80 chapters already and I really like it (particularly chapter 80 is quite funny, and in a way, quite sweet). Yes, sure it's episodic, with the stories pretty much not linking to any previous ones, but it's still really amusing and funny. There is a sort of overall story objective, and that is seeing the main character, Rito, try to express his affections to Haruna, but seeing him fall in love with the other main character, Lala. It's actually quite sweet seeing Rito slowly falling in love with Lala, and that he does care for her after all.

As the story goes on, the fan service dies down a little, I don't mind it so much (as the humor more than makes up for it) but there is still plenty of it. Some of the earlier running gags has stopped, due to the larger cast not allowing much time for them (and I liked those gags too...), and some characters being replaced by others as the chapter plots demands it. I understand why a lot of people don't like this style, but for me, I really love it, the humor is great and you don't need to think too hard about the story, it's just a fun way to mindlessly enjoy something. You can pick it up and leave it wherever you want, allowing a much greater freedom to read.

It does use a lot of the same jokes, with some minor changes but it works, I think you are waiting for it, and when it does, somehow, it's still interesting and hilarious. I do want to read more and more of it, and finally seeing how it all works out, and as of now, I don't think I would mind so much if I had to reread it or not (actually, I want to reread it).

I'm halfway and yet I'm not bored by it, I find myself laughing at every chapter, in some cases I think about it afterwards and still smile at the outrageousness of the situation. I admit, initially I wasn't in it for the story, but now I'm in it more for the comedy, definitely recommend this series if you like the sort of manga that has a super simple story but with quite a lot of situational humor.
Blogger Widget