Friday, October 29, 2010

Book Review: Dark Angels



Review: #27
Title: Dark Angels
Author: Katherine Langrish
Read Before: no
My Comments: It started off pretty slowly and weirdly, I couldn't get into it that much in the beginning, probably coz I wasn't really anticipating anything good or fantasy. I had some doubts as to whether this was going to be good or not, and parts at the first half of the book were kinda weird and sometimes hard to believe, like that I felt it was written badly or the idea wasn't that good. The second half really picked up and got me hooked, as the pace got faster, my interest grew, as there was a ‘deadline’ in the plot and so I was eager to find out how it would be handled by the main character. I think it’s actually quite unique how the author had handle the fantasy in this book, with her description of elves and how they came to be, it’s very different than other books (in this book they are described as outcasts and ugly, in others they are described as the ‘fair folk’, very beautiful and graceful), so it’s very refreshing. I loved the way how the antagonist (the main one, the outcast angel or the devil) was introduced and how he was eventually found out and realised as the bad guy. The final section of the book was very good, and it made the whole book worth it, it was very intense and revealing, and it threw my guesses. I thought it would be typical stuff (like the devil would give up saying that finally someone cares for the outcast elf, but no… although I guess there was one part where the typical did happen, and that is the annoying bad guy with huge pride gets taken). Unbelievably better than the other book that I have read from this author (Troll Fell). I believe that the slow start would put some people off, but the overall whole story is very nice, although the ending leaves some to be desired.
Rating: 7.5/10
Rereadability Factor: 5/10 (good to reread in around a year or so)
Blogger Widget